Czech Language Data Points (and interesting facts)
From internet users to trends in medical tourism, our collection of Czech language and Czech Republic demographic statistics is here to help on your global journey.
- Origins and influencers. Czech, formerly known as Bohemian, is a West Slavic language strongly influenced by Latin and German. It is the native language of over 10 million people and is the only official language of the Czech Republic.
- Economic outlook. The Czech Republic is a stable economy that is closely integrated with the EU, especially since the country’s EU accession in 2004. The auto industry accounts for nearly 24% of Czech manufacturing. The Czech Republic produced more than a million cars for the first time in 2010, over 80% of which were exported. (Source: CIA Factbook)
- What’s in a name? The Czech Republic registered its short-form name, Czechia, on July 5, 2016. On the one hand, according to this article in Forbes, there’s been little change. Some official Czech government websites still refer to “the Czech Republic.” Conversely, the writer contends, it takes years for new names to catch on. For example, when Burma became Myanmar, Leningrad became St. Petersburg and Peking became Beijing, the world took years to adapt.
- Medical tourism. The majority of patients from outside the Czech Republic are from UK, Germany and Russia. They are mostly seeking cosmetic surgery. This number has been rising by 10 to 15% a year, according to the Health Ministry.
- Clinical studies. According to CenterWatch, there are more than 1,100 clinical trials underway in the Czech Republic.
Fun Facts about the Czech Republic
- School’s out. A traditional celebration of the end of the end of high school, “Last Ringing” is celebrated usually in late April or early May. Students get a free day where they dress in costumes. They go around to the classrooms of non-final year students and spray them with cologne or water or write on their faces.
- Travel assistance. Are you planning your summer holiday to the Czech Republic? Then use this free mobile app, Czech Republic – Land of Stories, created by CzechTourism for ideas on must-visit locations across the country.
- Let’s socialize! As of June 2016, 87% of the Czech Republic’s population was online. (Internet World Stats)
- Beer, then more beer. Famous for being the birthplace of pilsner, the country consumes more beer per capita than anywhere else in the world. According to research by the Japanese beverage company Kirin, the country has topped the per capita beer drinking table for 23 consecutive years. (Source: The Telegraph, August 2017)
Contact us if you’re in need of professional translation, interpretation or website localization services for the Eastern European marketplace.